By My Side
At Goshen Friends School we realize that the opportunity to safely bring families and children together has never been more important. In Fall of 2020, Goshen will offer its By My Side parent-and-child program with smaller class sizes and new guidelines to ensure safe distancing. We will be outdoors together on our beautiful historic campus as much as possible!
By My Side program provides a gentle introduction to preschool in a purposeful environment. Children learn to share, make friends and become more independent all with the comfort of a parent or caretaker close by. An experienced preschool teacher leads the program and encourages growth in motor skills, imagination and cooperative play. The children become comfortable with gathering in circle, cleaning up and following a routine. This year, we will focus on gathering together safely while still enjoying social activities like music, stories and playground play!
- Children and their grown-ups arrive and are greeted by the teacher.
- Children may choose from a variety of toys and activities, paint at the easel, build with manipulatives or make a seasonal craft to take home. Due to 2020 health and safety protocols, toys and art supplies are individualized to prevent sharing. Tr. Carolyn gathers the children at the end of the period for a story.
- Snack Time: Snacks are provided by the school and may include water, juice, fruit, yogurt, crackers, cheese, and sometimes cookies! Snacks are healthy and allergen free.
- : Children and their grown-ups gather for a sing-along, sometimes with movement, shakers and bells. Music always begins with a “Buenos Dias” and ends with “Circle of Friends.”
- When weather permits, the group walks to our fenced preschool playground where they can swing, climb, slide, teeter, play in the playhouse and more. In the event of inclement weather, larger toys are set up in the classroom for free play.
Goshen Friends School offers a fall and a spring session of By My Side. Classes for both sessions are held on Friday mornings. The fall session begins September 18.
At Goshen Friends School, we are committed to creating a safe and peaceful environment that will offer parents a much-needed opportunity to meet other parents and connect with members of their own community. Fill out the application below to join us!