History of Goshen Friends
East Goshen Elementary School was built in 1958, but it did not include a kindergarten. Recognizing a community need, Barbara Dixon and Hazel Wright, members of the Goshen Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), founded Goshen Friends School in 1959. Goshen Friends started as a kindergarten and quickly expanded to include preschool. Between 1988 and 1993, the school grew to include preschool through fifth grade. In June 2017, Goshen Friends closed its Lower School to return to its roots of educating the community's youngest learners in preschool and pre-kindergarten classes.
The school’s buildings have been expanded and repurposed over many years, growing from an enclosed porch in the Meetinghouse as the first schoolroom to the modern classroom building that was completed in 2006 and the renovation of the Grange and construction of a new administrative building in 2016.
Over the years, Goshen Friends School has remained true to its roots. The Meetinghouse is still the heart of the community, and Barbara Dixon's vision for a school filled with joyful learners where all would be “welcomed, respected, and appreciated” guides Goshen Friends each day.